RE: block a field

  • From: "David Boyd" <davidb158@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:02:58 -0500

Thanks, Chris. We're now in Oracle9i. When we upgrade to 10g, I definitely want to try this solution.

David

From: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <davidb158@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: block a field
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:00:30 +0100

David

>I should specify in more detail in my first message. Actually we want
>blocking a field in an existing view, not a table. We don't want maintain
>two sets of views and security. We prefer to modify those existing views.

If you work with 10g you can use VPD's column masking. The feature allows you to let return NULL to un-authorized users. Give a look to DBMS_RLS.ADD_POLICY, especially to the parameter SEC_RELEVANT_COLS and SEC_RELEVANT_COLS_OPT.

HTH Chris