From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:01 PM
To: ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ora_forum@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: backup script

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:37:08 -0500, Igor Neyman <ineyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Why reading the registry?
> You could just use %ORACLE_HOME% system variable in your script.

I think you are thinking of a sqlplus script, the chances are that
this environment variable isn't available directly from a command
prompt.

***** proof that the envvar isn't set
C:\TEMP>SET O
OS=Windows_NT
OSVER=winXPP

C:\TEMP>SET ORA
Environment variable ORA not defined

***** but available in sqlplus.

C:\TEMP>SQLPLUS /

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Wed Mar 30 19:54:21 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> @%ORACLE_HOME%\RDBMS\ADMIN\DEMO

User created.

Grant succeeded.

Grant succeeded.

User altered.

User altered.

Connected.

etc etc

Me, I'd go with the sqlplus version. I don't see why the ORACLE_HOME
directory is required in an NT backup script anyway.

actually I'd also go with vbscript and not dos scripting  (unless
Jared is watching - in which case of course there is no alternative to
perl :) )

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA