RE: backup best practices

  • From: "Johnson, George" <GJohnson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:49:58 +0100

    I would mention what a previous poster said about an O/S. It's good to
bounce every so often to check that if you needed to, you can do it in an
emergency, you know the system can auto-recover by itself. The number of
times we have left systems up while changes have been made, then we bounce
'em only to find that such and such a service never started or the DB never
started 'cos the pfile got changed and never tested. The spfile goes some
way to helping by stopping people who don't know what they are doing, from
simply editing a text pfile and messing the format up.

    Personally I would leave 'em up 24/7, that's what archives and hot
backups are for, but I get voted down every time I raise it at my shop! So
we are stuck circa 1995, one guaranteed cold backup once a week of all
databases, without fail!