Re: backup best practices

  • From: tboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: swhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:35:39 -0400 (EDT)

The use of RMAN for your backups should obviate the need for cold backups,
since RMAN ensures there's no block corruption and backs up data files in
a recoverable state.  Of course, unless you're using archive logging w/
your RMAN backup, you'll have to do a cold backup anyway.

Despite that, I like getting a cold backup once i've installed a database,
just in case my rman procedures aren't quite right.  But, once i've
done disaster recovery testing no further cold backups are needed.

Should you bounce Oracle occasionally for no good reason?  Probably not;
bouncing
oracle clears out buffer pools and memory, thus meaning all your queries will
run more slowly until you re-populate your memory chain or keep pools.

my 2 cents,
todd