RE: backing up rman catalog for disaster recovery

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:22:22 -0400

Paula,
I do this in my shell script *every* time and AT THE END OF EACH BACKUP I
run...FULL, ARCH ONLY, etc.  Even if I have a local Recovery Catalog.

Effectively I now have a current controlfile (Recovery Catalog so to speak) on
my remote server or at least a copy on the local server.  A current controlfile
*COPY* is better (to me) than any Recovery Catalog.

NOTE: This is NOT an RMAN *backup* of my controlfile (totally useless), but
rather a *COPY* of my controlfile.  Meaning it can be used without RMAN; I cna
$>cp controlfile.bkp controlfile01.ctl with this COPY.

A current (after backup taken) controlfile *is* a catalog...I now have a
"catalog" backup with the same information that is in the Recovery Catalog. :o)

Even when I have a full blown Recovery Catalog I have never (had to) use it or
restore it to another server...this controlfile COPY is always my first and
faster option to get my DB up on a remote server in a disaster.

Try it...mount this controlfile (with another instance) and do RMAN list backup
without connection to the real Recovery Catalog.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

#!/bin/sh
#

# - Backup controlfile and spfile.
# - Even though you have one in the back it IS BETTER to have one all by itself.
# - THE ONE WITH THE BACKUP DOES *NOT* HAVE CURRENT BACKUP INFO!!!!!
run {allocate channel c4 type disk;
     copy current controlfile to
'${bkp_dir}/${date_time}_${DATABASE_NAME}_controlfile.ctl.bkp';
# - 8i
#     sql "alter database backup controlfile to trace";
# - 9i
     sql "alter database backup controlfile to trace as
''${bkp_dir}/${date_time}_${ORACLE_SID}_trace.ctl.bkp''reuse";
     release channel c4;
    }

scp ${bkp_dir}/${date_time}_${DATABASE_NAME}_controlfile.ctl.bkp
oracle@${Node3}:${bkp_dir_Node3}/ >> $log_file 2>&1