Re: avoid dynamic SQL

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:06:02 +0200

Alex,

Can you give some examples of the formula, please?
what version are you on? In 11g (and 10.2.0.4 with backport and event [1] ) you can use dbms_shared_pool.purge to purge single sql statements. Maybe that helps? Another method I would try is to handle the cursor of your execute immediate explicite and close it asap afterwards.

But as I have to confess I does not know what really causes the ORA-4031, these are all pure suggestions.
Can you check what fills up your SGA?

best regards,
 Martin

[1] http://kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com/2008/09/flush-a-single-sql-statement/

Am 30.06.2009 um 08:42 schrieb amonte:

Hi all

I have some problem with some dynamic sql generated by a package, it is causing ORA-4031 and I have to reboot the instance to get rid of the problem.

The code does something like

for i in (... cursor ...)
loop
select formula
into vFormula
from calculators
where .......
execute immediate 'BEGIN :EXITCODE:='||vFormula||'; END;';
end loop;

vFormula contains mathematical formulas

The cursor returns around 30000 rows and this is hammering the shared pool 30000 times!

I dont see how can I avoid this dynamic SQL without doing some major changes (how the formulas are stored for example) and wonder if anyone have some idea.

TIA

Alex