RE: autoextend

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:41:20 -0400

Using unlimited file size is a bad idea because as soon as you remove
the maxsize parameter value some developer will manage to move an
infinite insert into production (that is, an infinite loop containing an
insert statement).  Cleaning up the mess from a job filling a disk is a
lot worse than having to alter the maximum file size larger.

If you are actively monitoring your space usage you should have plenty
of notice that you need to increase the max size.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148