Re: asynchronous PL/SQL development; DBMS_AQ ??

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjamya@xxxxxxxxx, cosmini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 00:56:57 -0700 (PDT)

And don't forget that pipes are local to an instance, so

1) think carefully about your pipe naming convention (for example, if you want
schema-specific pipes, prefix the pipename with the username)
2) you can't coordinate work across multiple RAC instances using DBMS_PIPES.

DBMS_PIPE is also a great (lightweight) way to coordinate work done in the
database with remote external processes and agents (eg a C program running on a
remote host). You only need an Oracle client on the remote host.

Regards Nigel