RE: as or is

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <BoivinP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:06:24 -0700

The following is pure cojecture ...

Both exist for for grammatical reasons.  "Create Package <package_name> =
is"  is grating.  "Create" is the verb.  What's the "is" doing there.  =
However, inside the package one doesn't use the verb "create" in =
defining procdeures.  "Procedure <procedure_name> is" has a verb; =
"Procedure <procedure_name> as"  does not.  Tnen they using is in =
certain cases and as in others was confusing and allowed both.=20

PL/SQL has had is and as from the beginning.  What about Ada?

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 =20