RE: app is slow

  • From: "Johnson, George" <George.Johnson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:10:35 +0100

Exactly!

I sometimes tend to find 3rd party app sessions tricky to jump on when
when they get into a DB so I tend to set up temporary "trigger traces" (
firing DBMS_MONITOR/SESSION from a system trigger ) to capture the raw
trace data. Spend a little time with one of Mr Kyte's books, I think
Google online books has some of them available, learn how to interpret
raw trace files. Raw traces can take a little time to learn all the
little flags but I find reading raw traces very enjoyable if a little
time consuming ( I have a wife and kids, I have no time to get a life!
), you really get to learn the nitty gritty of what XYZ is actually
doing.