alternate client restore fails with recovery target incarnation changed during recovery

  • From: hrishy <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 04:07:35 +0100 (BST)

Hi

I have a RAC database with instances called RAC[1-4] we duplicated this to a
single instance database called TRAC using alternate client restore.

It restored all the datafiles and the archivelog files but when trying to
recover the restored datafiles by applying the archives it started throwing a
error like

And i could see
ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
ORA-19906: recovery target incarnation changed during recovery

and when i looked into the database i saw there were 2 incarnations of the
database whereas the target database from where it was cloned has only one
incarnation.

can anybody explain what is the reason that the incarnation automatically
changes and why ?

Another DBA solved the issue by reseting the incarnation to 1 and regsitering
the logfiles manually and recovering the database but i did not understand why
this happened