RE: alter system v shutdown abort

  • From: "Joel Garry" <joelgarry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:26:46 -0700

Jesse, Rich wrote:

>I had one such occasion on 9.2.0.5.0 under HP/UX 11.11 just last week
on
>a dev DB that gets rebuilt from scratch weekly.  The sniped process
>prevented the release of shared memory even after a SHUTDOWN ABORT
>(confirmed by ipcs -a), which prevented the new instance from starting
>up.  I haven't needed to take time to troubleshoot it, since it's just
>dev DB.

I've also seen this on 9206 on hp-ux 11.11.  Even ipcrm couldn't remove
it, I had to bounce the production box to release the shared memory.
Rare, but it can happen.

If all you (Queen Roo-Roo) are doing is killing off users for a backup
(and you should investigate if that is really necessary for the backup,
or just a means of preventing undo problems because people don't log off
correctly), you can script OS process kills with something like:

Echo "Killing list:"
ps -ef|grep oracle${ORACLE_SID}|grep -v grep|grep -v <any other things
you don't want to kill>|awk '{print "kill -9 "$2}' >>
$$kill_oracle_attaches
<then the same line again without the redirect to output what is going
to be killed>
echo "[End of list]"
if [ -f $$kill_oracle_attaches ]
then chmod +x $$kill_oracle_attaches
     ./$$kill_oracle_attaches
fi
rm $$*

This is handled in oracle by PMON, while the alter system is handled by
SMON, who may never get around to it.  Sessions killed with alter system
not releasing locks is pretty common.

Joel Garry
http://www.garry.to