alter system set user_dump_dest='/newdir' not working

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:39:06 -0700

9.2.0.5, AIX 5.2

I'm able to execute the command with no errors, and get the "System altered"
confirmation message, but then when I try to create a trace file (e.g. set
sql_trace=true), no file gets created - not in the original udump directory or
the new one.  When I alter the parameter back to its original value, then I am
able to create trace files in the original udump directory once again.  Anyone
else seen this and know of a solution (other than changing it in the
pfile/spfile and bouncing the database)?

Oh yeah, I also made sure to disconnect and then start a new session after
changing the value.  I found a bug (#4090774) on Metalink but it was for VMS
only, and they said that the change worked after starting a new session, so
this doesn't seem to apply.

Thanks,
Brandon