Re: all_synonyms: performance issues

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mark.powell@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:49:29 -0500

We are experimenting with cursor_sharing - it is a double-edge sword. Lots
of new bugs quickly came to the surface. But that is OT. =)
I kinda figured it was an internal query, but where do I find more
information on it?

On 8/23/06, Powell, Mark D <mark.powell@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps it is the internal query where Oracle checks to see who the table belongs to in order to parse the query and check security. The presence of :"SYS_B_1" type names leads me to believe you have cursor_sharing set to similar. We have not had good luck when we tried to use that setting.

-- Mark D Powell --

------------------------------ *From:* oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Charles Schultz *Sent:* Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:21 AM *To:* oracle-l *Subject:* all_synonyms: performance issues

 Good day, list,

In light of Metalink note *377037.1* (*Selects Against ALL_SYNONYMS
Perform Badly on 10g Release 10.2*), we have been tracking down why we
have so many calls to all_synonyms in the first place. We see a lot of these
types of queries occuring:
SELECT table_name, table_owner FROM all_synonyms WHERE owner = :"SYS_B_0"
AND synonym_name = :"SYS_B_1"

Where does this come from? When I queried v$sql, I could not find any
parent cursors ( where parent.child_address = child.address and lower(
child.sql_text) like '%all_synonyms%'). We are also unable to find
explicit calls from the application, so we are operating under the
assumption that Oracle does this as part of a recursive call. A 10046 trace
will show this query and a preceding query (ie, select * from some_table),
but I do not quite understand how they are related.

Any help much appreciated,

--
Charles Schultz

--