From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:47 PM
To: bobmetelsky@xxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l
Subject: RE: advice for massive delete querry

Is it possible to copy the keepers instead and then drop the original table
and do the requisite renames?

Delete has to copy the entire row to rollback. Copying the keepers in a
particular order *may* have an extreme benefit if there is a dominant order
of access to the table. The result set has no air left behind, which is good
for relatively static data, less good for high rate of collisions in block
updates.

If (as it appears from your delete values) this is essentially unhooking a
years' worth of data, then think seriously about partitioning next time
around. A year at a time is usually thought to be a pretty big chunk, your
mileage may vary.

Or even use "poor man's partitioning." If your granularity is a year, then
the inserts go into a table tabname2005 currently, and next year you'll
switch the insert synonym to point at tabname2006. Then your select and
update view is tabnameu and your insert view is tabnamei (or whatever
nameing convention you want). When you unhook a year, you redefine the
synonyms and views at a quiescent moment. (That's the way dinosaurs handled
it before there was partitioning.)

On the con side of course, you'll transiently need more space, and you'll
need to build any indexes from scratch at full sort overhead, excepting
possibly one index if you copy the keepers in the requisite order.

Usually when you add up the overheads (test a reasonable sized sample, but
remember that indexes cost about n log n so you'll get an underestimate for
a sample). If you have lead time you can create full size indexes on a test
database copy to more accurately size the effort.

Thumbrule: If you're keeping less than half it's not even close - copy the
keepers. (oh I hated to type in a thumbrule. there are always exceptions,
like if you have "number of columns in table factorial" indexes.)

Regards,

mwf