RE: ** advanced replication question

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:20:58 -0400

A Joshi,
>> advanced replication DB version 8.1.7.4
>> it possible to propagate schema changes like adding column
Yes (and No).
Is possible using ; "DBMS_REPCAT.ALTER_MASTER_REPOBJECT" but doesn't work or
fails in 8i.
I have tried several time in the past...there is a bug.
Metalink says it is fixed but I don't think we got it to work in 8174 either?
We ended up doing it manually.
Below are some my notes on this subject...I will send you directly the entire
process (notes).

hth

Chris Marquez

+++++++++++++++++++

The syntax below alters a schema (table) object currently under Multimaster
Replication use by;
- Stop "QUIESCED" Replication for the Master Group
- Altering Replication Objects
- Generate support for Replication Objects
- Start "NORMAL" Replication

In the end the Replication Tables / Object will change at all Master Sites.

NOTE: 8171  [BUG:1280292] ORA-23463/ORA-23318 from "ALTER TABLE MODIFY" in
ALTER_MASTER_REPOBJECT

==============================
PROCEDURAL
==============================
------------------------------
Stop QUIESCE Replication Group
------------------------------
BEGIN
        DBMS_REPCAT.SUSPEND_MASTER_ACTIVITY(
        gname => '"RMASTER_GROUP2"');
END;
/

------------------------------
Alter schema Table / Object
------------------------------
BEGIN
   DBMS_REPCAT.ALTER_MASTER_REPOBJECT(
     sname => '"RTEST1"',
     oname => '"TEST_PK_TABLE2"',
     type => 'TABLE',
     ddl_text => 'alter table RTEST1.TEST_PK_TABLE2  add(COL_3 NUMBER) ');
END;
/

==============================
MANUAL
==============================

The fallowing syntax and comments is an alternative manual method to applying
DDL on Replicated Objects.

-----------------
Drop Replication Object
---Drop Replication Object (from Group)