Re: ** adv replication versus streams

Going from Advanced Replication to Streams is not just a configuration
change, but a rather strategic change. You would need to set up, configure,
develop all the streams rules to match your replication ones, test
everything etc etc.

I would rather find out why is adv replication slow for you? Maybe its
something simple like incorrect TCP window size / network configuration or
no propagation parallelism or just plain queuing table inefficiency.

By the way, if you replicate lots of changes *and *you keep your def$_aqcall
tables in system tablespace you will have a big CPU overhead due system
tablespace's db block checking which is on by default.

I've explained it here:

http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2008/09/02/oracle-hidden-costs-revealed-part2-using-dtrace-to-find-why-writes-in-system-tablespace-are-slower-than-in-others/

Otherwise, if by "replication being slow" you mean that the changes aren't
pushed fast enough, I would run snapper on the push job session and see
where its time is going.

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM, A Joshi <ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have adv replication (multi master) but it is slow : so I am thinking of
> going to streams. For speed. Do I need to keep anything else in mind before
> going to streams? Any other comparison between the two for other aspects
> like maintenance. How stable is streams now. I think initially with 9i it
> was not stable and lot of bugs/issues. I would be going from 10g to 9i. Any
> issues with that. Any info is apreciated. Thanks for help.
>

> --

Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com