RE: active-pasive cluster in linux

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jcmiranda@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:11:39 -0500

I have become disenchanted with RedHat Cluster Manager for Oracle installs.
Having installed a number of these alongside Veritas (now Symantec) Cluster
Server (VCS), we have found that the VCS is far more reliable.   VCS now has an
Oracle Agent that is Dataguard aware, so the previous limitation of using
Dataguard broker in active / passive clusters has been addressed.   VCS is only
slightly more expensive that RH Clustering on Linux.

Just be aware that you will probably need to use the Veritas volume manager /
filesystem with VCS rather than GFS, but it's a very good solution when RAC
costs too much.  I highly recommend VCS.