Re: active-pasive cluster in linux

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exriscer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:43:54 +0000

Hi all,

On 02/22/2010 09:01 AM, LS Cheng wrote:
> Hi

[...]
> Oracle Clusterware works fine but the monitoring scripts are sort of
> primitive, it also forces you to run ASM.

I have successfully implemented this on a number of systems without
problems. And I don't want to appear defensive here but why do you think
that monitoring scripts are sort of primitive? Are you referring to the
sample code on
http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/products/rac/zip/sifo_action_scripts.zip?
Those could indeed be improved. However you can always write your own
scripts to ensure the database is up to your personal test for
sophistication. All that is needed is a script to take 3 parameters
(which CRS will pass to it) for checking the resource status, starting
and stopping the resource.

ASM isn't required but useful and simple to set up-if you like you could
use OCFS2 (don't know about GFS support for this...).

If you wanted, you could even virtualise this: Steve Shaw has done a
really good presentation about high availability in the age of austerity
which uses this concept based on Oracle VM.

I think an active/passive cluster based on CRS it's a really cool and
cost effective idea (Oracle don't recommend that anymore because they
can't make any money out of it, with Rac One Node they can!)

> --
> LSC
>

> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Juan Cruz Miranda Vigo
> <jcmiranda@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jcmiranda@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     I need to configure an Oracle database into an active-pasive cluster
>     in linux.

[..]

Hope this helps,

Martin