Re: active-active for private IP?

  • From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:09:34 +0000

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:10 AM, J Buchanan <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2009, at 8:48 PM, J Buchanan wrote:
>
>> If an instance loses any one of its interconnect paths that instance will be
>> shut down.
>
> I should clarify.
>
> If an instance detects the loss of an active interconnect path it will shut
> down.  If a member of a bonded interface goes offline but the other stays
> online (thereby keeping the bonded interface alive) the instance will
> continue.

As I understand active-backup mean that some OS daemon will enable a
backup interface in case where primary interface will be down - it can
be too slow for RAC -
Active - active (Linux eth bond) will give you a stability in case of
one NIC failure - of course if you have more than one NIC and one
switch. Be aware that RedHat 5 has some problem with proper order of
ETH interfaces after reboot - see my post about it -
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com/2009/02/rac-and-linux.html

regards,
Marcin Przepiorowski