active session waiting for SQL*Net more data from client for very long time

  • From: Denis <denis.sun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 07:27:48 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Listers,

Recently we have encountered  sessions ( from weblogic JDBC thin client) that
are waiting for "SQL*Net more data from client" event and in active status
indefinitively (could be more than 10 hours).  In two instances, such sessions
eventually block other sessions in the morning when business transactions
become busy. we have to kill such a session to release the locks it held to
avoid serious lost of service.

The sessions are doing a relatively simple select statement with very selective
index scan when they were hanging with above event. The largest rows it can
return at most several hundred.  By google, there is a case described here:
http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/java/entry/wait_class_network/ ;, which solved this
issue by upgrading JDBC driver. But I am not sure this is reason for my case as
we use same JDBC driver for all app server and we don't have long sql text as
described in the webpage. ( to be honest I have little knowlege about weblogic
that managed by other team and to get other team's coordination requires a bit
more effort).

Our dev team is  trying to enable time-out at statement level in their java
code. Hope this can prevent such kind of running away transaction.(Weblogic
transaction time-out seems not working as they said they set the value for 180s
already)  Anyone has similar experience and can give me some clue to dig into
the root cause?

Thanks,

Denis