Re: a quick poll regarding the 11gR2 OFA

  • From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paul.Baumgartel@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:36:13 -0500

Paul's right; that was *exactly* the point. People were naming mount points
to connote the contents of those mount point; for example, they'd have /wp1
and /wp2 for their Word Perfect files (yep, it was a long time ago), and
/oracle1 and /oracle2 for their Oracle files. They'd invite me in because of
a performance problem, and—guess what—they'd have already placed some Oracle
files on /wp1 because they needed a more uniform distribution of I/O load
across all their drives. Of course, their backup scripts were looking only
in /oracle* directories. I saw some twisted wrecks in those days...

The point of the specifically *non*-connotative mount point names was to own
up to the inevitability of people needing to put files of all types on all
their mount points. So my advice was to make the mount point name
non-connotative of content, and then make the direct descendant of the mount
point connotative of content. So, then /u01/oracle, /u02/oracle, and so on,
and /u01/wp, /u02/wp, and so on. This naming convention provided the benefit
of allowing DBAs and sysadmins to use the shell's globbing mechanism to
refer to all their content-specific directories with a single expression,
like /*/oracle or /*/wp.

Cary Millsap
Method R Corporation
http://method-r.com