Re: a quick poll regarding the 11gR2 OFA

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 10:45:52 -0500

Rich,

Yes, I'm maybe even tiplenoid (trinoid, trionoid?) or quadranoid.  It
takes me a long time to do some things with all the backups, pwd's, ll's,
env's, etc. that I do to make sure I'm where I think I am.  There are
risks with our layout, but I think there are risks with any layout.

Even with the /u001 - /u016 layout, a former DBA here managed to
systematically rm all redologs, arclogs, and rollback segment tablespace
files on a Production server, even though they were in way different mount
points.  He just didn't pay enough attention to which terminal session he
was in and thought he was still on the Dev server he'd been working with.

No layout can protect you from carelessness, though, granted, some are
safer than others.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

From:   "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   05/11/2010 10:16 AM
Subject:        Re: a quick poll regarding the 11gR2 OFA
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Jack,

> /oracle
>         /admin
>                 /SID1
>                 /SID2
>         /oradata1
>                 /SID1
>                         /arclogs
>                         /redologs

My only concern with this is the need for a DBA to be in the admin
directory
(e.g. log and trace viewing), which is under the same /oracle dir as the
data directory.  Thus, my preference of the somewhat goofy "orafra",
"oractl", etc. naming -- there's less chance of confusion as to what dir
one
is in or heading to.

It's minor, what with prompts being set to include PWD and all (and I
colorize mine as well!), but I'm paranoid.  And that's twice as bad as
being
singleoid.  :)

Rich