RE: a modest proposal

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:23:37 -0400

The procedure can be augmented by referring fluff to a newbie pro bono list,
and/or diagnosis to an FAQ repository. The OP gets a notice where the
request was routed, and no one else sees the spam unless they have elected
to lurk the newbie questions list. If the OP is routed to the FAQ, then no
one sees the request unless the newbie responds to the newbie list that the
FAQ referral did not enlighten them.

This has correct a feedback loop that the cycle time of the asker is less by
directly mining the FAQ and then posting beginner questions to the newbie
list directly. This has the proper effect on leeches and innocent newbies
alike. The only downside is we might miss Mladen's ascerbic wit, but maybe a
side list of "What crossed my mind when I routed this one to the newbie
list" that could even have an admission by invitation and proof of age of
majority.

Disclaimer: I have already served plenty of pro bono time in list
management. If nominated, I will not run; if elected I will not serve. This
is just a triage suggestion. I might lurk the newbie list, but the keyword
is might. I probably would lurk the "What Mladen thought of this question"
list, but that would be for the purpose of amusement, not professional
contribution.

Regards,

mwf