Re: Xserve G5

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:12:35 -0800 (PST), Steve Rospo
<srospo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At the last PSOUG meeting Daniel was very excited about Oracle RAC on Mac.
> I can't remember the numbers but I seem to remember a two node + 2TB
> shared storage for some ridiculously low amount.  (I want to say < $100K
> but I might be wrong.)  According to Daniel it was absolutely *smoking*.
> I'm attending next week, so I can report back if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested, especially if actual numbers are shown - I assuming
'smoking' is a good thing in a server, rather than something to be
concerned about....

As far as price goes, the storage is $13,000 dollars for 5.6tb of
disks, a dual proc xserve g5 is $4000 so I imagine the price tag is
under $30,000 for the hardware (and some large figure for the
software)

Daniel did remark on the speed of the storage on c.d.o.s, which given
that the storage is either 7 or 14 ATA devices I find a little
unlikely.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA