X$ksmsp (OSEE 10.2.0.2 on Solaris 8)

  • From: "Schultz, Charles" <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:27:26 -0500

Granted that x$ksmsp is not documented and therefore subject to changes
from version to version (or patch to patch), I have an Oracle Support
Engineer telling me that one entry in ksmsp might actually show
fragmented memory in the case of a memory leak. My understanding, from
what I have gleaned from others much smarter than I, was that each row
of ksmsp showed one contiguous chunk of memory, be it small or large,
FREE or PERM (or something in between). The whole idea of a memory leak
causing ksmsp to report a fragmented chunk as one piece is a little
disturbing.

Can anyone corroborate or refute this?

Oracle Server Enterprise Edition 10.2.0.2
Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8) 64-bit

charles schultz
oracle dba
aits - adsd