RE: Would you recommend such an application for production use?

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:25:27 -0500

Depending on the size of the company that wrote the product, I wouldn't
be surprised if they don't have a "hardening" guide for their product.
So, by default, they leave things wide open, to improve user experience
and ease of use (cause unfortunately, very often as quality of security
increases, ease of use and functionality decreases correspondingly).

However, odds are they have run into folks like you who are smart enough
to crack the whip a bit from a security perspective, and they probably
either have a doc on improving security, with documentation about what
capabilities you lose accordingly, or they have someone you can talk to
within the organization who can help you with your concerns.

I'd escalate those concerns to management, and see if you can't get on
the phone with the vendor, and ask them to address the concerns. They
might be more than keen to help you out.

(speaking as someone who has these kinds of discussions with customers
all the time).

Thanks,
Matt