Re: Windows XP 10.2.0.2 Patch

  • From: "Ethan Post" <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Paul Drake" <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:43:08 -0600

Thanks Paul.

I ignored the errors and proceeded with the install, and eventually it said
something was a process using orapls10.dll. There should not be anything
accessing this as it is a new install with no databases, but there was a
bunch of software using the old 9i client that was previously on this
machine. It was suppose to be removed but I suspect somehow one of the
services is still around and able to access the new dll's.

I might try booting up in safe mode, renaming the oracle home, then
rebooting, changing back to the right name and installing the patch. I am
hoping that whatever normally uses this will "break" for the short time I
need to get it patched.

- Ethan

On 3/7/07, Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 3/7/07, Ethan Post < post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to install the 10.2.0.2 patch for windows and Oracle
installer
> is requesting that I shutdown about ~30 services before I can continue.
> can actually only shut down about 20 of them. The rest either never
shutdown
> or I don't have access to shut them down. I am in the administrators
group.
> XP service pack 2. Anyone else seen this?

Ethan,

Besides shutting down the Oracle services that are running out of the
Oracle Home that is to have the patchset applied to it, I know of
these services that need to be stopped:

distributed transaction coordinator

In all likelyhood, none of your programs running on an Oracle server
require MS DTC to be running, but it is installed and enabled by
default which makes it a very popular target for remote exploits and a
large reason why "Black Tuesday" is followed by "Patch Wednesday" each
month.

Other programs that would access a .dll in the %ORACLE_HOME%\bin would
be services that run on top of snmp or backup software agents.

One way to determine what processes are holding handles on files is to
dump the handle information. SysInternals has utilities for providing
such information that are gratis for your personal use (check the
click-thru license).

handle.exe, process explorer, process monitor will all do.

hth.

Paul