Will CIS Oracle 11g security remediations break shrinkwrapped apps? Gotchas, lessons learned, and remediation methodologies

I've been asked to remediate various Oracle security issues for dozens of
instances. Here's the reference document provided with the scan results: Center
for Internet Security Security Configuration Benchmark For Oracle Database
Server 11g Version 1.0.1":  http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/db/I733-043R-2008.pdf
I'm not a security expert. So my comfort level is low. Great learning
opportunity. But I don't want to inadvertently break apps in the process. Can
anyone familiar with this doc please share any "gotchas" / "Lessons Learned" /
constructive criticisms / preferred methodologies? Sorry if this seems too
general a request. But I thought it would be cheaper to learn from others.
Especially for any items where the remedy was (egregiously) worse than the
"disease."

Here are some concerns:

1) One remediation asks that ALL_% objects to PUBLIC be revoked. Yet many
shrinkwrapped apps seem to rely on the presence of such grants. Without access
to a vendor's source code, or asking a large vendor (who may be slow in
responding) to disclose what they use, how will I know what will break without
extensive testing? Testing that neither DBAs, app administrators, or customers
may have time to conduct due to resource constraints. A side question: are
vendors whose apps expect such privileges blameworthy security-wise? Or is the
CIS document a tad too vigorous and overreaching in its recommendations?

2) Some vendors seem to rely on PUBLIC grants to various stock Oracle packages
(DBMS_%). And Oracle 11.2.0.3.1 on RHEL 5 itself, or its options, may have
cross package dependencies. Even with "best effort" testing, one wonders if
there will be downstream issues later on. Even after things have been running
for a while in Production. The same vendors may be inordinately generous with
PUBLIC grants to their own objects--but that's another issue.

3) Sometimes we're asked to remediate instances out-of-cycle, e.g. on a higher
stage where the remediation has not yet been done and tested on a lower stage.
We have four stages: dev > test > qc > production (and some training / recovery
ones).

The only approach I know to take without consulting app vendors is as follows:

* Perform one remediation at a time
* Before each remediation, check for all objects where STATUS <> 'VALID'
(better than STATUS = 'INVALID')
* After each remediation recheck status for all objects
* Execute direct grants to those who require access to a package then recompile

Does this seem like a valid approach? Is there anything else I can do?

Here's another vexing question: when asked to set kernel resource limits, where
should I look for guidance on what values to set (short of asking vendors, who
may themselves not know what to advise due to lack of knowledge of a customer's
particular load profile / use patterns)? App resource utilization has
seasonality. With a new app, in the absence of vendor recommendations, it's
often hard to know what values to use. Or to predict what the usage profile
will be over time for a new app. I could imagine apps reaching a "plus one"
threshold and breaking. How do you deal with that when you manage many apps and
instances?

For example, items such as:

* CPU_PER_SESSION
* PRIVATE_SGA (shared server architecture only)
* LOGICAL_READS_PER_SESSION
* SESSIONS_PER_USER (concern here with session pooling)
* CONNECT_TIME (some apps are poorly written, and throwing more hardware
resources at the problem does not solve the Root Cause)
* IDLE_TIME

Oracle's official 11gR2 Security and Performance tuning guides don't provide
much, if any, insight on what values to set. Neither do many of the 3rd party
Oracle Security or Performance Tuning books I've searched. Presumably because
one should be well acquainted with the apps one supports and test in one's
environment. And/or have a priori instincts on which values to use. However, we
support many apps--often many apps on the same instance--and I'm not intimately
familiar with the usage profiles for each one. Suggestions on where to start
would be appreciated. Real-world examples would help a lot. Would love to know
of any resources that provide general guidance in setting values for various
CIS items.

This is my first post here. Given the subject matter (security), would it be ok
to roll-up any offline responses without attribution? Perhaps anyone responding
offline could let me know whether or not they wanted to be cited?

Finally, if I could read only one book on Oracle 11gR2 security to assist me
with this task, what would people advise?

Thanks

Dana

GIS for DBAs. Database Concepts for GIS.
http://SpatialDba.com