Re: Why use Pro*C for spooling result sets to flat files when you can do the same thing in SQL*Plus?

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: a.piesk@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 11:31:14 -0600

On a slightly common note, but probably more off subject, when I first
started with the Governemnt back in 1988, all of our reports were
written in Pro*FORTRAN. What a nightmare that was, especially on a
HP-UX machine and having to recompile everything whenever Oracle or HP
came out with new versions (or library patches). Pro*FORTRAN was
chosen because the reporting requirements (layout, computations,
multiple tables in the same report, looping, etc.) couldn't be handled
by SQL*Plus.

At least now I've finally got them all re-written in PL/SQL packages.

--
-- Bill Ferguson