Why use Pro*C for spooling result sets to flat files when you can do the same thing in SQL*Plus?

  • From: Bill Myers <bwmyers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:23:32 -0700

In my previous post,
//www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Any-valid-security-concerns-using-Data-Pump-over-conventional-expimp,
I mentioned that the DBAs at my new job use Pro*C to export data to flat
files. So I asked one of them in a meeting: "why not use SQL*Plus instead?"
Response after a long awkward stare: "you tell me". I have searched the
forums and docs to no avail (besides maybe some speed advantage).

So, is there any real advantage to using Pro*C over SQL*Plus to spool result
sets to flat files? I certainly don't want to become a Pro*C expert, so any
ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Bill
9i OCA/10g OCP DBA