RE: Why the optimizer is not choosing the best plan?

we are using system stats here and we have noticed absolutely no difference
whatsoever in oracles ability to make the best plan over using optimizer
parameters. I've also noticed that even with bad optimizer init.ora settings in
9.2 the CBO is still write about 99% of the time.
with decent settings that improves to 99.5% of the time. so if system stats
helps its minimal.