Re: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a myth?

  • From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:41:52 -0600

Rollback/Undo segments are not written from beginning to end. Blocks in an undo
segment are reused, perhaps by the original segment, perhaps 'stolen' by
another segment or deallocated. I've never done any formal testing (if anyone
has, please correct me), but it is logical to me that undo i/o patterns are
similar to data/index segments. It would not suprise me if the i/o pattern of
temp tablespaces are closer to data/index/undo than redo.

Redo is written from beginning to end.

Daniel Fink