RE: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a myth?

  • From: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:54:34 -0400

Better yet:  Do an automated stress-test before release into production =
and understand the characteristics of the database so you can spread out =
the I/O in a way that makes sense before you have to.

From: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> So in laying out disks for a new database - perhaps the only thing =
worth =3D
> separate out is the redo based on I/O contention - right? =3D20

Not really.  If you have a "mostly-read" database, why separate the redo
if you rarely write to it?  Waste of time and disk.

I guess the real issue in this whole argument of separate I/O
is that there is no such thing as a silver-bullet approach to
splitting files in an Oracle database.  The nature of EACH SPECIFIC
case dictates what should be spread across devices and what should not.

To try and find a one-size fits all rule is just condemned to failure.

The problem is:  Find out if you have I/O contention.
The solution is: IF you have I/O contention, find out where
and spread THAT load.

If that means you have to allocate more disk to the system
tablespace, or to the redo, or to a single table, or to a group of
indexes, or whatever is your problem area, then so be it.

Trying to make a rule of thumb out of something that has got
no hands is really hard...  ;)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia