Re: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a myth?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:52:45 +0100

Alas, even that isn't necessarily true.

What if you have a low update rate, but a high read rate.
You've just isolated a disc, or two, for a very low level
of redo I/O, and reduced the number of devices which
are subject to the heavy I/O load.

Sometimes the penalty on redo is less important
than the benefit on reads.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar