Re: Which one is good in terms of performance

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:46:24 -0700

Thanks Tim, very thorough and detailed work as usual. I am of course
pleased to see my opinion confirmed, obtained from casual observation
but not hardened by rigorous testing, that you can get away with a
rather low sampling rates for table statistics without sacrificing much
in accuracy, but the same is not true for index statistics and
histograms and that one should therefore separate the gathering of table
statistics (including basic column statistics "for all columns size 1")
from index statistics and histograms. Unless you can afford a full table
compute.

--
Regards

Wolfgang Breitling