Re: Where should RAC listener run from

  • From: "Jeremy Paul Schneider" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:03:50 -0500

I'm pretty sure oracle officially doesn't support adding listeners to the
clusterware - so if you want more than one listener on the node then the
clusterware can't manage them.  Letting clusterware manage it also means
that grid/database control can manage it.  For this reason I've usually
configured one listener per node.

eBus/Apps 11i is a bit unique and has its own req's - you need to do one per
DB there.

On 7/25/07, Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The listener can be run from any home.

The separation between ASM and DB homes gives you more flexibility in
patch management.

I imagine that upgrading ASM to more current patchset than DB is
easier (but that configuration is not tested as thorough as same
patchsets ASM and DB) and you might want your listener to be on the
highest patchset as well. But again who knows if there are (un)known
issues specific to 10.2.0.2 DB running with 10.2.0.3 listener?

Also take into consideration that upgrading ASM home will cause outage
to all databases while upgrading oracle home will impact only
database(s) running from this oracle home. But with RAC, I would
expect this maintenance to be rolling.

I follow the rule - if there is one listener per database - run it
from DB home (ASM listener from ASM home). One listener for the node -
run it from ASM home.

Anyone has more thoughts on which Oracle home to use? I don't recall
it discussed in MAA papers but it was a while ago I read them.

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL