Re: Where should RAC listener run from

The listener can be run from any home.

The separation between ASM and DB homes gives you more flexibility in
patch management.

I imagine that upgrading ASM to more current patchset than DB is
easier (but that configuration is not tested as thorough as same
patchsets ASM and DB) and you might want your listener to be on the
highest patchset as well. But again who knows if there are (un)known
issues specific to 10.2.0.2 DB running with 10.2.0.3 listener?

Also take into consideration that upgrading ASM home will cause outage
to all databases while upgrading oracle home will impact only
database(s) running from this oracle home. But with RAC, I would
expect this maintenance to be rolling.

I follow the rule - if there is one listener per database - run it
from DB home (ASM listener from ASM home). One listener for the node -
run it from ASM home.

Anyone has more thoughts on which Oracle home to use? I don't recall
it discussed in MAA papers but it was a while ago I read them.

On 7/25/07, William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alex,

Thank you. To follow up on this question I would ask whether it matters
which home the listener is running from. I am running on Linux, RHEL4
with Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 64-bit Enterprise Edition. I have three homes,
one for CRS, one for AS< and one for RDBMS. The listener is currently
running out of the ASM home on each node and seems to be working
properly. What are the ramifications of it running out of the ASM home
as opposed to the RDBMS home?

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis