Re: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

  • From: BN <bnsarma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: danielwfink@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:26:42 -0500

Greetings,

I totally agree with you. In my company, I work for a Production support DBA
Group, Some time back my company pulled all the DBA from DEV and made this
group with a good intention.

DBA resouorce can be shared across many projects, to start with it was a
good idea. As more and more databases were added to production support, and
layoffs, Produciton support DBAs are overloaded at some times, not all the
times. The biggest issue I see now is There is a big disconnect from
Development. Most of the times we see the Schema the day we implement them
into production, or  when its too late to make any changes. More than 50% of
the times , the Schema design, DR & HA planning, etc., needs a major change
, but it will be too late. Its always next release, for most of the apps I
am still waiting for the next release ......

I strongly feel that even in an environment like mine the DBA should be
associated to DEV and Production. IF one DBA manages five databases (dont
know the magic number), He should be involved in  both DEV and Production
for these Databases.

Again this is my opinion, not my compnay's

--
Regards & Thanks
BN