Re: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:41:12 -0500

Sam,

I think both Stephen and Lee have good points. I would tend to agree that
putting the DBA in the development group can produce better coordination
with the developers. Gives the DBA better opportunity to attend early design
meetings.
    On the other hand, the trend is moving toward companies purchasing most
of their software, rather than "rolling their own". In that case, the focus
becomes developing a competent infrastructure group with strong standards
(development, test, and production environments) and consistent enforcement
of these standards. I would argue that in this environment focused on
infrastructure, putting the DBA in the infrastructure group might make more
sense.
    Then again, the DBA is an artistic soul not easily bound by
organizational confines.

Dennis Williams