Re: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

  • From: "stephen booth" <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sam112233@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:11:26 +0100

On 24/04/06, sam roberts <sam112233@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Very non technical question, but I would appreciate people's views on where
> the DBA  function should reside.

In general I'd say it depends on the DBA and the organisation. Connor
McDonald has a page on his site entitled "Evolution of DBAs"
(http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/dba_evolution.htm) which reccommends
putting them int he middle of the development team.  There does seem
to be an assumption there that the company does it's own development
and has a development team, but for that environment it's good advice.
For other environments it might not be appropriate or even possible.

Where I work I sit in the Infrastructure team because we don't have a
development team, most of my work is based in projects helping to
implement systems using applications written by external vendors.  Any
development work (mostly linking new applications to existing
application or bespoke functions/reports) I either do myself or
provide specs to the vendor for them to do.

Your environment sounds a lot like what Connor is describing so you
should probably be sitting in the applications team, convincing
management of that might be difficult.  Maybe show them Connor's
thoughts on the matter?

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/