RE: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

  • From: "Josh Collier" <collier_jw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sam112233@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:52:31 -0700

At my shop the DBAs are part of the infrastructure group but are farmed out as a
resource and attached to development projects for both in-house and 3rd party
software projects. It works good because the DBAs here play both production and
development roles. Its crucial for DBAs to be closely involved in development of
stuff they will ultimately support in production. This way the DBAs have
accountability for systems they were responsible for developing, as opposed to
other shops where production DBAs where not responsible for developing systems
for which they are now accountable.

Josh C.

  _____