Where are these table stats coming from?

  • From: Barbara Baker <barb.baker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:43:56 -0600

OpenVMS 7.3-1  Oracle 9.2.0.4

Seems like a dumb question, but . . . .  I don't understand what's
generating the stats on my table.

I'm moving a 19 gig table from a DMT to a LMT with this command
     alter table admarc.wo move tablespace U05LMT  nologging;

takes 1 hour.

Then I'm rebuilding the table's 10 indexes like this:

   04:06:19 SYS:AMTEST>alter index admarc.WO_SLS_NBR_3_IDX
   04:06:19   2   rebuild tablespace I05LMT compute statistics;
   Index altered.
   04:47:05 SYS:AMTEST>

Takes 9 hours for all indexes.

After the alter table move command, my table has no statistics.

At the end of the index rebuild command, the table DOES have
statistics.  And the time of the statistics is identical to the
creation of the last index.

TABLE_NAME         NUM_ROWS      LAST_ANALYZED
------------------------------ ----------               -------------------=
-
WO                         16233354          08-JUN-2005 04:47:05

Why does rebuilding indexes/computing statistics cause table
statistics to be generated?
Do you think it computes statistics for the table for each "alter
index" command?  (I wasn't up at 4:47 this morning to check it out)
If so, is there a way to turn it off?

(I did plan to generate stats for the table.  But I had planned on
using estimate, and was going to do it after everything else was
created.)
Thanks!
Barb