Re: What to keep in ASM?

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:07:13 -0500

Yep. You can backup backupsets or datafile copies for example. You can
as well backup database once again but that would increase workload to
the production DG (well, if it's on seprate physical spindles,
otherwise it doesn't really matter).

Actually, you don't have to create separate disk group for that - you
might just unmount temporary your standard backup diskgroup. However,
if you place FRA on it, archive logs, change tracking file, flashback
logs, etc., then you won't be able to umount it. In addition, your
storage admin might not like it - it's common practice to zone
production LUNs away from development environments. Separate LUNs on
the other hand might have different status and SA's might go easier
with their policy.

On 2/26/07, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just re-read this and realized you are talking about using RMAN to
backup the *backup* to this special ASM DG.  Let me know if I've got
that right!

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev