Re: What happens during open resetlogs?

I recently cloned and opened a database with resetlogs option. I thought I
would find the RESETLOGS_CHANGE# to be something like 1 or 10, instead I
found it to be some 17 digit number carried over from production. Any
thoughts on that.

On 8/22/06, Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The most important task of a resetlogs operation is updating the RESETLOGS_CHANGE# in datafile headers (as seen from V$DATAFILE_HEADER).

All other things like overwriting online redologs and updating
controlfiles
are secondary, not crucial (you don't even need online redologs in order
roll forward an old backup using archivelogs to some point in past. Also,
the need for controlfiles is just for convenience, not crucial for
recovery).

Updating resetlogs_change# states that these datafiles belong to a new
incarnation of the database now and any more archivelogs generated by the
"old" database can't be applied to this new incarnation (with one minor
exception of recovering over resetlogs though).

Btw, Oracle 10g includes the resetlogs_change# in the default
log_archive_format string now as well, so nobody would accidentially try
apply wrong logs (although with similar log sequence numbers) to their
databases..

Tanel.