RE: What are the implications of running dbms_stats and analyze compute?

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <achoto@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:47:54 -0400

 The default analyze command does not build histograms.  Were you using
histograms in the prior version?  If not change SIZE 200 to SIZE 1.
This would eliminate changes in plans due to histograms from the
equation.

There were at least a dozen hidden parameters that affect the CBO which
had their default value changed from off to on with version 9.  One of
them might be causing you a problem depending on the type of SQL
statements involved.

I suggest you look for and attempt to tune the affected SQL.  If you see
a pattern in the types of SQL statements affects you can contact support
as your site might be a candidate for switching a specific underbar
parameter back off.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --