What are the implications of having several instances on a server sharing the oracle home?

  • From: Ana Choto <achoto@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:13:20 -0400

My boss thinks that this could cause problems.  I say it's OK to have, say
three Oracle instances  (or more) sharing the binaries, as long as we have
enough memory and space.  He thinks we should install the software for each
instance to alleviate contention for the binaries.  Space is not an issue
for him.  The problem with this setting is that I will have to apply
patches to all of them.

I have on a server four databases, three of them share the binaries, they
are on 9iR2, and I also have a 10G instance on its own oracle home.  The 9i
DBs are not heavily used so I can't tell if there is performance issues
with them.  I don't see a problem with the 10G db, although no one but me
is using it.

On another server I have three databases in their own oracle home.  Two
instances run on 8.1.7.4, one is the datawarehouse and the other one is
oltp.  No performance problems there.  Another oltp database (9iR2) resides
on the server, and I don't see any performance issues there either.

Is someone out there willing to share his/her experiences with any of these
settings?

Thanks

Ana E. Choto
American University