Re: What are the common mistakes DBA do retarding backup & Recovery?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:32:45 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Syed,

As a recent convert to RMAN, here's my $.02:

Incrementals (and differentials, too, I assume?) -- I haven't needed to use
them yet.  It seems like it's most attractive to VLDBs with the majority of
the blocks are static (DM/DW?) , where the added complexity is offset by the
backup size and/or time.  I like having that option, though.

Compression on split mirror copies can be easily done on Unix using your
favorite util (compress, gzip, bzip2), where appropriate.

Encryption in RMAN is only available with a purchased option.  Encryption on
Unix using scripting is freely available.

"Easy" is very subjective here.  Even though RMAN is provided by Oracle,
whereas something like a split mirror copy will always be custom, the backup
and restore procedures using RMAN will still vary from site to site.  Some
may use EM, some may roll their own scripts wrapped or not by shell scripts,
on the server vs. centralized, etc.  I think that's a wash.

One major advantage split-mirror scripts can have over RMAN is that the
method is tried-and-true and IMHO are much more resilient to Oracle version
change.  I had been using the same basic disk-to-disk backup script from
v7.4 to v10.2.  The last place to use "latest-n-greatest" is in backup and
recovery.  Anyone try RMAN in 8.0.3???  Ewww.  But I have no real RMAN
complaints in 10.1.0.5.0 so far.  I won't blame RMAN for the EM interface to
it...

Rich

    * From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
    * To: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
    * Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:15:22 +0300

I haven't used the split mirror technology. But, I love to use RMAN and I
have no hesitation recommending people to use RMAN because of the following
advantages with RMAN:

Incremental Backups (Change Tracking)
Compressed backups
Encrypted backups