RE: WebFocus and Oracle Views

  • From: <Dominic.Brooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:01:48 +0000

It might be revealing to trace what WebFocus is doing that means it can't use a
view (allegedly).

From what little documentation there is publically available, who knows what
the "SQL Translation" layer does.
But it's not impossible that it's doing some sort of lookup against something
like USER_TABLES as it "translates SQL to an internal, canonical form" and then
back to "specific SQL dialects supported by proprietary RDBMSs" - "whatever".

However, it also looks like it can operate with straight "SQL Pass through" so
maybe this would avoid any source of the problem.

But, my first reaction is that some sort of lookup is involved and that causes
the problem - find the lookup and you're at least part of the way to thinking
about ways to avoid the issue.

Cheers,
Dominic