Re: Wanna implement RAC.

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chiragdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:49:20 +0100

On 10/3/05, Chirag DBA <chiragdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Thanx a lot Dear Santa. Get ready for CHRISTMAS too. ;)
>  As you said, let me go through this site and all the manuals.
>  But I have one question in mind.

It doesn't really - its a scalability solution (and arguably the wrong one).
You might well get higher availability - in my experience this is true - for
the end users, but you also get higher artificial demands on the DBA and sys

By and large RAC helps you past the capacity limits of your current hardware
by buying more, but cheaper, hardware and adding complexity. This is not a
high availability message.

What RAC is is well documented in the manuals to which Mladen referred you.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA